Re: Uptime (Was: Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks)

    Why the hell am I reading this thread?  Why am I replying?  *sigh*

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:04:17 -0700 (PDT)
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
> and I'm not alone I'm sure. I know tons of system/network admins
> and have never known one who ran reliable servers to not have
> a case when they didn't make an init script for something they wanted
> to load on boot before they restarted a machine.

    Ya know, there's a difference between the server not booting and a service
not starting upon boot.  If an admin can't keep a server in a bootable state,
even without rebooting it for months or years, then they simply have no
business being an admin, period.  Hardware failure is understandable.  The
occasional software hiccup from upgrades is as well.  Flubbing something so
bad on init that it flat out doesn't boot; one chance, that's it.

    As for services not coming up on boot, that is an entirely different
matter.  Ya realize it doesn't come up, ya fix the problem or ya walk the
night crew through it if they can't fix it.  No big.  That's part and parcel
of an admin's job.

    I can honestly say that in the past 5-8 years of running Linux and FreeBSD
boxes there has been all of two cases where I had a machine in a state where
it wouldn't boot when rebooted.  One was an errant rm -rf on a mounted root
(newbie mistake) and the other was a misconfigured kernel (Whoops, took SCSI
out, forgot to compile in IDE).  In that time I reboot machines that routinely
have uptimes measured in months.  No less than 4-5, often closer to 10.  I
don't cross my fingers and pray every time a machine goes down.  If it doesn't
come back up, I deal with it.  But I know, by and large, it isn't something I
did.