Uptime (Was: Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks)

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003, Matthias Hentges wrote:

> [...] Server machines with high uptimes are a lil' bit different of
> course. You can't be sure that the server boots up cleanly after you
> restart it. That's just another reason to not reboot those machines ;)

I hate to join in the flamefest, but if that's the case, you need
to find a different admin for those servers.

If a professional admin can't ensure the server they run is going to
boot, they need some remedial help, some process control, or a good
beating. Sure, mistakes happen, but the methodology of change control
for *nix machines isn't that hard.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution