Re: Configuring mutt to view and quote html

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:28:22PM -0800, Shaun Crossley wrote:

>Eventually I tracked the solution down in the following mutt mailing list
>posting by Gero Treuner, judiciously edited here for brevity:
>
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mutt-users&m=95563623916928
>
>[snip]
>
>>In muttrc you need
>>
>>  auto_view text/html
>>
>>and in mailcap
>>
>>  text/html; lynx -force_html %s
>>  text/html; lynx -force_html -dump %s; copiousoutput
>>
>>The first entry is for interactive use from an attachment listing,
>>the second for inline display in the pager (and for replies)
>
>[snip]
>
>With this in place, when you read an html-based email its content will be
>visible in the mutt viewer, with no need to view it in an external
>browser.  Even better, when you reply and quote a message, the text is
>nicely extracted and quoted.

Cool, I've not been using the auto_view option :-)

You might also try w3m, it renders some pages better, but lynx has the
advantage of providing links in footnotes...

text/html; w3m -s -T text/html -dump -cols 95 '%s'; copiousoutput; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html
text/html; w3m -s -T text/html '%s'; needsterminal; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org