Configuring mutt to view and quote html

Originally, this email was going to be a request for help. However, during the process of drafting the email, I was forced to do a little bit more research and ended up solving my problem.

In the spirit of sharing, I'm posting this anyways in case anyone else might benefit from the info.

- - -

I quite like mutt, and from what I understand it's quite a popular mua around these parts.

However, I started receiving email from friends with hotmail accounts and insufficient computer knowledge to select "don't send html email to this recipient."

In its default configuration, mutt would pass these emails on to my browser. No problem, except that I was then unable to easily quote their emails.

I tried out balsa, but was dissatisfied with it for different reasons. I wanted my mutt back.

Eventually I tracked the solution down in the following mutt mailing list posting by Gero Treuner, judiciously edited here for brevity:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mutt-users&m=95563623916928

[snip]

In muttrc you need

  auto_view text/html

and in mailcap

  text/html; lynx -force_html %s
  text/html; lynx -force_html -dump %s; copiousoutput

The first entry is for interactive use from an attachment listing,
the second for inline display in the pager (and for replies)

[snip]

With this in place, when you read an html-based email its content will be visible in the mutt viewer, with no need to view it in an external browser. Even better, when you reply and quote a message, the text is nicely extracted and quoted.

Exactly what I wanted -- I hope that someone else out there can benefit from this as well.

--

Shaun Crossley
mailto:shaun@whatever.ca