Re: Source for 2.2.20 kernel

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 02:47:41 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> First, I'm surprised that stable's still shipping with 2.2.  Christ,
> folks, it's 2003, let's catch up stable.
>
> Second, you can't stop time.  And as long as software's in widespread
> use, it's likely actively developed.  Obsolescence is a function of
> development and time.  Lack of obsolescence is, and always will be, a
> myth.  Quit deluding yourself.

As long as Woody is the stable version it will install a 2.2 kernel. The Virtual Memory fiasco in the early 2.4 kernels kept them from being considered stable enough for a "Stable" distribution.

Not only is the 2.2 kernel still being developed, if you check on kernel.org you'll find updates for 2.0 kernels. Some folks still have and use older hardware.

Kevin