Re: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related careers/schooling?

> I wonder if all (or most) of you are in similar careers and that is
> why you are so proficient with compiling and testing and tweaking
> all of this stuff.  Or is it just a hobby that has gone on for so
> long that you have advanced your knowledge of Linux/Debian to these
> levels that all of you are at?

I'm also a student, majoring in psychology, minoring in biology. I've
been using Debian for about.. a month or so on my desktop machine :)
Started out on Mandrake about 4 months ago, setup a firewall (using
Debian) not too long after that, and just installed OpenBSD on that
firewall for the first time. I would definitely consider it a hobby,
although I did work as a web developer (who didn't?) for about two
years.

I was surprised at how quickly things started making sense, though. I
signed up for this list prior to setting up my previous firewall, and
was completely and utterly confused, but I figured I would just keep
reading and saving any emails that *might* pertain to forseeable
problems. I was amazed by how simple commands and certain advice I
managed to retain really did help. I guess it's kind of like that
Garfield poster they used to have in my elementary school where he has
books strapped to his body - Learning by Osmosis or some such. So, from
personal experience, I think you're doing the right thing by jumping
right in!

Good luck!

Erinn