How to analyze a server crash?

Hi there,

I was just rsyncing a 10Gb tree to a remote server over SSH when the
connection was reset by the remote side and the server was
consequentially unreachable. So I proceeded to get to it physically
and discovered that not even the console was working -- the screen
remained blank.

From the logs, the only thing I could see was that grsecurity logged
a signal 11 (SIGSEGV) sent to the rsync server process. No other
logging entry shows anything about the freeze of that system.

So my question is: how can I figure out what happened, and why is
there absolutely no information between my last successful automatic
fetchmail log entries and the sysklogd restart message? Under what
circumstances can Linux crash such that it can't even write logs
anymore and doesn't respond to the console?

--
Please do not CC me! Mutt (www.mutt.org) can handle this automatically.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc