Re: Window Manager doesn't start

    "Colin" == Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

    >> and nothing else - should I just use .xinitrc instead then?
    >> And why has .xsession suddenly starting playing around?

    Colin> To my knowledge, startx has only ever used .xinitrc, not
    Colin> .xsession ... I don't know why it used to work. Maybe you
    Colin> had a symlink in place at one point?

I was under the impression Debian encourages the use of .xsession
instead of .xinitrc just so you get the same environment with various
login managers. See 'man startx' for this suggestion.

    Colin> My .xinitrc at work reads:

    Colin>   #! /bin/sh xrdb -merge .Xresources exec "$HOME/.xsession"

    Colin> I don't think this gets me quite the same environment as I
    Colin> do when logging in normally using a display manager (which
    Colin> just uses .xsession), but it serves well enough for the odd
    Colin> occasion when the display manager breaks.

startx runs ~/.xinitrc if there is such a file, but otherwise runs
xinit. This basically results in the executions of the files in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/ where your ~/.xsession file gets sourced. Looking
in that directory is actually quite instructive.

Cheers!
Shyamal