debian lockup, fsck fail ....

My woody ext2 totaly locked up, my win modem was dialing (I suspect the
driver) while I did a search on kmail for an e-mail :( .. well I guess
nothings perfect ...

I tried ctrl-alt-del ctrl-alt-f1,2,3 ... all dead. I had to power down and
re-boot.

On re-boot the system ran fsck which bommed out and told me to run fsck
manually.

I ran fsck -A, all ok it corrected loads, maybe 20 inodes then hit some ti
did not seem to know what to to with. It has dumped these in the /lost+found
directory. The contents of which is ...

debian:/# cd lost+found/
debian:/lost+found# ls
#212421  #212424  #212425  #212426  #212427  #212428  #98297
debian:/lost+found# ls -al
total 40
srwxr-xr-x    1 test     test            0 Jan 15 18:00 #212421
-rw-------    1 test     test          168 Jan 15 18:00 #212424
-rw-------    1 test     test          168 Jan 15 18:00 #212425
-rw-------    1 test     test          168 Jan 15 18:00 #212426
-rw-------    1 test     test          168 Jan 15 18:00 #212427
-rw-------    1 test     test          168 Jan 15 18:00 #212428
srw-------    1 test     root            0 Jan 15 18:01 #98297
drwx------    2 root     root        16384 Jan  2 17:46 .
drwxr-xr-x   21 root     root         4096 Jan  2 18:22 ..
debian:/lost+found#

I also lost my kmail accounts which I have re-enterd.

Are the above lost files ? If so how do I know what is what and how do I put
them back ?

Can anyone point me to documentation about what is an inode, web searches for
info on inodes draws a blank. I would like to know more ?

As always any help gratefully appreciated
Dave

PS The system appears to work AOK now, even with all that has happened. Still
a bit disconcerting !!