Re: Adding a ide drive to an all scsi computer

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 23:50, Michael Kahle wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I hope you all can help me resolve my problem.
>
> I am currently running Debian Sid on my computer.  I have 3 SCSI drives in
> it and I would like to add a fourth IDE drive to it.  I have a 80 GB drive
> that would be a great chunk-o-diskTM for me to store all kinds of goodies
> on.  I originally built the system with one SCSI drive and later added the
> two others.  This worked great for me!  But here's my problem.  I have heard
> that by adding a IDE drive into the system I will no longer be able to boot
> off of my SCSI drive.  Is that true?  I guess there is some BIOS issue with

Depends on your bios really.  My bios gives me the option of booting off
a scsi card, but I have seen one or two that dont give that option.  Im
sure yours does since your already booting off of it.  Just make sure
you set your boot order correctly.

> that.  To add to the complexity of this, the drive has about 50 GB of data
> that I want to keep... Oh, and it is formatted NTFS (Windows 2000).  Can I
> add this IDE drive 'as is' without re-formatting it?  I seem to remember
> seeing that I could mount a NTFS file system somewhere.

This would be the problem.  The kernel does have NTFS support.  The read
is marked experimental and the write is marked dangerous(from what I
remember).  Basically reading off of said drive is a bit touchy but can
be done, but you should not write to drives containing data you even
remotely care about.  Now I have never used this, so this is just the
impression I get from what Ive read about the subject.  But then again
maybe read the data off onto another disk(compressing it along the way
to save space) then reformat ext3 and write the data back.  That would
be what I would do.

--
Scott Henson <debian-list@silvercoin.dyndns.org>