Re: Adding a ide drive to an all scsi computer

Michael Kahle said:
> two others.  This worked great for me!  But here's my problem.  I have
> heard that by adding a IDE drive into the system I will no longer be able
> to boot off of my SCSI drive.  Is that true?  I guess there is some BIOS

depends on the system. in many cases yes it's true, in some it is not. your
best bet is to just plug it in 'as-is', be sure your BIOS is set to boot
from the SCSI device first and see if it works. if it does, great, if not
then you will probably want to boot from floppy, and install a boot loader
either grub or lilo into the MBR of the IDE disk for booting(this won't
affect the partitions on the IDE disk).

you can mount NTFS filesystems on linux though I personally would not except
in an emergency, the driver for NTFS has a long history of causing damage
to NTFS filesystems though recently I've read it's gotten better.

nate