Re: gnome sound server monopolizing alsa's audio

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:29:15AM -0600,  Rob VanFleet wrote:

> Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a workaround?  I tried
> searching the BTS, but I wasn't really sure which package to look for.

Any given program can hog a single DSP. Here are a few workarounds:

  A) hardware that supports opening the DSP multiple times
  B) hardware with multiple DSPs or multiple sound cards
  C) software mixers (artsd, esound, etc)
  D) alsa's dmix plug-in (see the alsa wiki for details)