gnome sound server monopolizing alsa's audio

I'm currently using sid's Gnome 2.4 and alsa 0.9.8-3 with an Intel
82801EB integrated sound card (snd-intel8x0 driver).  It works fine
except for when I enable sound events in gnome.  When gnome's sound
server is running nothing gets to use the audio device save gnome
itself.  My event sounds work fine, but xmms et al can't do anything
until I uncheck "Enable sound server startup" in the Gnome sound
preferences.

Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a workaround?  I tried
searching the BTS, but I wasn't really sure which package to look for.

Thanks,
Rob