Re: pon does nothing when run by users

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 05:51:31PM -0500, David Morse wrote:
> John Hasler Add to Address Book wrote:
> >Paul E Condon writes:
> >
> >>Look at the diald package.
> >

> >Or just use pppconfig to configure pppd to use demand dialing.
>
> I have no trouble to get pppd to demand->dial, its the undemand->hangup
> that is proving trickier, since this ISP sends all kinds of crandom carp
>  through the link.  In my copious free time I'm writing tcpdump-style
> syntax filters to ignore this ... don't hold your breath.   :)

Diald disconnects after a programmable amount of idle time. The script
that is installed sets this to a time that I find too short. You may
find the default setting exactly to your liking. Otherwise, it is easy
to change.

If your ISP is deliberately trying to keep the line open, you may have
a more chalenge. As I recall, you can set the script to ignor, for timing
purposes, traffic that is not initiated locally.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com