Re: pon does nothing when run by users

John Hasler wrote:
All my users are in groups dip and dialout.  They've relogged in.  Now when
users run "pon demand-wvdial"...

I named my ppp connection /etc/ppp/peers/demand-wvdial, because ppp calls "wvdial --chat" to negotiate the login, and because its theoretically an on-demand ppp connection. I'm starting to notice that everyone else just calls theirs "provider"...

Explain, please.

Similarly, when poff is run as user, and pon had been called previously
by root, it complains thusly: /usr/bin/poff: /bin/kill failed. None
stopped.

This is normal.

Bummer, so when root starts up ppp0 at boot time, there's no way for the user to shut it down. Guess we won't be using /etc/init.d/ppp anymore.