[no subject]

I am having problems getting XFree86 to run... I've installed it with
apt-get.
I apologize for the length of this.. there are a lot of config file pastings
I run startx. KDE comes up, makes it to the little mouse/keyboard icon and
crashes. this is in the log:
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
        No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting
"
looks like it can't see my mouse? but, doing "ls -l /dev/input" gives me:

total 0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  64 Nov  5 11:11 event0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  65 Nov  5 11:11 event1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  66 Nov  5 11:11 event2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  67 Nov  5 11:11 event3
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   0 Nov  5 11:11 js0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   1 Nov  5 11:11 js1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   2 Nov  5 11:11 js2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   3 Nov  5 11:11 js3
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Nov  5 11:11 mice
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  32 Nov  5 11:11 mouse0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  33 Nov  5 11:11 mouse1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  34 Nov  5 11:11 mouse2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  35 Nov  5 11:11 mouse3

so, i went into XF86Config-4 and I noticed this at the bottom:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

it looks like it is calling for the mouse twice?
however, commenting out generic mouse line now produces this error:

(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting

Any ideas? I've googled and it appears this is not uncommon, i even saw a
mention of this as a bug for debian, but I am not able to resolve it.
I've attached my full XF86Config-4 file

Thanks!

Matt