Re: why is debian the only distribution that won't let me run X?

Paul Scott wrote:

Bruno Boettcher wrote:

Hello,

 seems there's no way to get X running under debian on my new Medion
 laptop....

 i still try to install debian (usntable) on the laptop, and discover
 discovers nothing, and even the XF86 config files saved from thos
 other distributions that worked perfectly well on my laptop don't work
 under debian.....

Just copy the XF86Config-4 that Knoppix creates.

Sorry for my sloppy reading of your post

I think (Debian-based) Knoppix can still lead to a Debian solution. Did you look at both XF86Config and XF86Config-4? For some reason Knoppix generates both. On a system I just tested XF86Config-4 was used. Have you compared /var/log/XFree86.0.log between the Knoppix install and the Debian X failure?

Paul Scott