Re: Insidious Spam/swen/Garbage

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 05:41:12PM +0100, David Jardine wrote:
> One problem I had with it is that it gave the message lengths as
> zero, which didn't aid swen-spotting.

I do get the message lengths so this may be a problem with how mutt
interfaces with your particular pop server. It also might be because I'm
using unstable...

> Thanks to all you people I've now got enough solutions to leave
> me in a state of complete confusion.  However, I still don't
> understand (and I understand very little of these network
> matters) why an interactive fetchmail thing doesn't seem to
> exist.  Is it because it would clog access to the mailserver if
> fetchmail users held connections open while they pondered?  Do
> the servers close the connection after the briefest of periods
> of inactivity?  Or what?

Interactive fetchmail kind of defeats the purpose of fetchmail. I think
most people use fetchmail to make pop access feel like a traditional
unix mail system. So fetching mail manually and filtering through it by
hand would certainly break that illusion.

However I think that anything that an interactive fetchmail could do
mutt or some other email program that can connect directly to a pop3
server could do as well.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>