Re: new to debian

Scott Hansen wrote:
Greetings,

I downloaded iso disks of Debian and did an install. I am new to Debian, and Linux as a whole. The question I have is thatI do not know how to get a gui login or to activate a gui like kde. Could you help me with this. As soon as I can get a gui up and test drive Debian I will gladly send money to support it. Also, only disk 1 was needed for the install even though I selected the desktop environments, games, scientific, and 3 of the four developer packages. Did I screw up the install?

Thank you for your time,

Scott Hansen

Scott,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Debian.  To get a graphical login
prompt, execute an 'apt-get gdm' while logged in as root.  That
will provide you with a display manager that handles authentication
and selection of your desktop environment.  I am not why that is not
installed by default when you choose the desktop environment task,
but that is how to fix that.

It is not abnormal to only need CD 1.  The order in which the packages
are placed on the CD is by popularity.  Thus, the most often downloaded/
installed packages are on CD 1, with popularity of packages going down
as you move to later CDs in the set.

HTH,

-Roberto Sanchez