Improved responsiveness: Galeon over remote X11

I'm currently running my desktop over a remote X11 display within my
LAN.  That's with an exported X11 display, not tunneled.  Reason is to
allow use of a slow but quiet and cool PPro 180Mhz 256MB as X terminal, while the
heavy(er) lifting is done by a P4-1.7GHz 512MB box which suffers from fan
noise and tends to overheating.

Desktop is WindowMaker, 1280x1024 display.  Most apps respond reasonably
well.

The notably exception is Galeon, which...seems...to...freeze...or...lag...
particularly when opening or closing tabs.  Scrolling pages can be jumpy
(wheel mouse).  Otherwise, once a page is loaded, response is pretty
good.  I use a userContent.css with on-hover highlighting of links --
this responds quickly (pretty much instantaneously).  It's the tab
open/clse events which seem to throw it.

Performance on local display is generally good, occasionally laggy, but
nowhere near this bad.

Anyone else see similar behavior?  Is it a network issue, X11 server
side, or could there be something I can tune/tweak somewhere?

Needless to say, the performance is getting more than a little annoying.

Peace.

    "I repeat, all planet leave is cancelled. I've just had an unhappy
    love affair, so I don't see why anybody else should have a good
    time."
    -- HHGTG