Re: woody newbie help

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 06:10:32PM -0300, mnicolet wrote:
> Hello
> I am a newbie to Linux, but not to the *NIX world. I allways tried Debian
> distros. But I had no time to go too far.
> Now I installed woody ( bf2.4 ). All went ok exception of
>
> 1) My Debian box has a generic two button serial mouse. Using some utility
> ( don?t remember which one ), the mouse is correctly seen as attached to
> /dev/ttyS0. Main parameters as shown by stty seems correct, by example baud
> rate is 1200. /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/ttyS0.
> When I configure XFree86, xf86config correctly guess what the mouse device
> is.
> But when X and KDE are up, I have no mouse response. Of course, I need to go
> to console mode.

What protocol does your XF86Config file have set for the mouse?

> Is there a console mouse test and trouble-shooting utility ?

Package: mdetect
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 80
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.5.1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
Filename: pool/main/m/mdetect/mdetect_0.5.1_i386.deb
Size: 15808
MD5sum: 287f0784207c76f819562ce619ef6f41
 mdetect is a tool for autoconfiguring mice; it is typically used as the
 backend to some user-friendly frontend code.  mdetect writes the autodetected
 mouse device and protocol (as used by gpm) to standard output.  It can be
 invoked so as to produce output appropriate for XFree86 X server
 configuration files.

> 2) at installation, I don?t remembered what the NIC card was, so I skipped
> over all net installation, exception, of course, the local loopback.
> Later, using lspci, I discovered what my Ethernet card is, and using modconf
> I could configure/start the correct driver.
> To test it, I configured manually the eth0 interface, and it works ok. I can
> ping my LAN machines, and also did some ftp transfers.
> But I don?t know how to:
> - add the eth0 ifconfig to the boot or init scripts
> - where and how ( route ? ) to set the gateway ( I am sharing my Net conn
> using a NAT server )

/etc/network/interfaces - example, modify to suit:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0