Re: Emacs not creating cvs backups

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 12:05:00PM +0200, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using my office computer, while editing files checked out a remote
> pserver repository, emacs is working as expected, that is, backups are
> created appending the current repository version as extension,
> something like:
>
> test.c~1.2~
>
> However, using my home computer, and a local repository, backups are
> not being created at all. This is, neither with the repository version
> as extension, nor with the simple '~' symbol appended.

This is from the emacs manual from the section
(Version Control->Remote Repositories->Version Backups):

"Version Backups

When VC sees that the CVS repository for a file is on a remote machine,
it automatically makes local backups of unmodified versions of the
file--"automatic version backups".  This means that you can compare the
file to the repository version (`C-x v ='), or revert to that version
(`C-x v u'), without any network interactions."

Here is some extra information from the section
(Version Control->Remote Repositories):

"Remote Repositories
-------------------

A common way of using CVS is to set up a central CVS repository on some
Internet host, then have each developer check out a personal working
copy of the files on his local machine.  Committing changes to the
repository, and picking up changes from other users into one's own
working area, then works by direct interactions with the CVS server.

One difficulty is that access to the CVS server is often slow, and
that developers might need to work off-line as well.  VC is designed
to reduce the amount of network interaction necessary."

So it would seem that this feature of making local backups is only
enabled for remote repositories. You should probably get the elisp files
and find where emacs checks to see if a repository is local or remote
and disable the check.

You may also get better results by posting to the newsgroups:
gnu.emacs.help and comp.emacs

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>