Emacs not creating cvs backups

Hi,

Using my office computer, while editing files checked out a remote
pserver repository, emacs is working as expected, that is, backups are
created appending the current repository version as extension,
something like:

test.c~1.2~

However, using my home computer, and a local repository, backups are
not being created at all. This is, neither with the repository version
as extension, nor with the simple '~' symbol appended.

Is this a problem with emacs (vc-mode?) or with cvs? My .emacs is a
very simple one, like this:

(global-font-lock-mode)
(setq scroll-bar-mode 'right)
(tool-bar-mode nil)

And my .cvsrc is as follows (please note, not having a .cvsrc file at
all doesn't make a difference):

cvs -q -z3
log -N
diff -uN
rdiff -u
update -Pd
checkout -P
release -d

My software versions are the following:

ii  cvs            1.11.1p1debian Concurrent Versions System
ii  emacs-goodies- 21.6-1         Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
ii  emacs21        21.2-1         The GNU Emacs editor.
ii  emacsen-common 1.4.15         Common facilities for all emacsen.
ii  post-el        2002.04.22-2   emacs major mode for editing mail

I am using Debian stable. The package emacs-goodies-el is backported
from unstable, but not having it installed didn't make a difference.

Any idea will be very useful for me, so thanks in advance.

Regards, Ismael
--
"Tout fourmille de commentaries; d'auteurs il en est grande cherté"