Re: i865 based systems

Neal Lippman wrote:
Has anyone installed a 2.4 series kernel on a system based on the intel
I865 chipset? If so, I am wondering if there are any recommendations re:
motherboards that seem to work well.

From a quick grep through the 2.4.21 source (latest kernel available for
testing) is appears that both i865 support and sATA support are in the
kernel, which are the two major issues with this chipset (since I think
the onboard gigabit LAN became supported in 2.4.19).

As far as I can tell, there is sATA support in 2.4.21, although I cannot
figure out what the device major number or /dev entries for that would
be.

Hi Neal

Don't know how much this will help but as you've had no other answers, here goes. I'm trying to get an i875P based m/c to work but am still having problems, but it sounds like you know more about kernels than me. FWIW, my machine appears to boot OK in general under 2.4.21 but:

- I have problems with the network. I haven't yet persuaded the network to boot properly. Once the system is up and running, I can start it by hand (ifdown eth0; ifup eth0). The controller on my board (it's an Intel D875PBZ mobo) is apparently different from those supported in previous kernels. Once I've fixed it I'll have to come back to the disks:

- initially there were problems with disk errors and unexpected interrupts, so I switched the BIOS to legacy mode (the SATA disks appear as PATA but it's not possible to see all the devices). That made the problem go away but I'll have to come back to it when I've fixed the network.

There are apparently problems with some other SATA support chips and perhaps with specific hard drives so check the lists and google carefully before buying.

People say they have got these boards working but I don't remember seeing anybody who claimed to have made native-mode SATA work who gave full details.

Cheers, Dave