Re: Testing->Unstable question

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:59:44 -0700 moseley@hank.org wrote:
> On a laptop I had only sources for stable and testing.
> I had also just done apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> I then added unstable to sources.list and created apt.conf:
>
> laptop:~$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
> APT::Default-Release "testing";
> APT::Cache-Limit 10000000;
>
> and then did another apt-get update to update my cache.
>
> Then I did this:
>
> laptop:/etc/apt# apt-get -s dist-upgrade
> 14 packages upgraded, 9 newly installed, 2 to remove and 6  not
> upgraded.
>
> Why is anything changing?  I didn't specify -t unstable to read in
> packages from unstable, so I'm not clear why it would install anything
> (since my "testing" machine was up to date).

If you want to be able to access packages from unstable while keeping
"normal" apt operations restricted to testing, you have to pin unstable
to a value lower than 100 in your /etc/apt/preferences file.

> The reason for adding the unstable sources was because I wanted a
> newer version of mozilla.  I suppose I should quit being a weenie and
> just run sid.

Suit yourself. Probably better for security reasons, and to keep your
adrenalin in a nice state of flow :)

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/