Re: XFree86 turns off the screen when using usb mouse

    "Bijan" == Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

    Bijan> Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> writes:
    >> If not, try removing the 'Option "DPMS"' line (or use xset) to
    Bijan> Turning off DPMS gets rid of blanking completely. I'd like
    Bijan> it to blank my screen if I really am away.

I guess this confirms that it is X server doing the blanking.

    >> you have CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK set in the kernel?).
    Bijan> I'm not sure. I'm using a default Debian kernel.

You can look in the config file that is installed with the kernel

$ grep APM_DIS /boot/config-2.4.18-k7
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set

but you seem to have ruled this out as being the issue in your case.

    >> I use Woody, on an ATI Mach 64 and two different laptops and
    >> have never seen the X server misbehave like this (yet ;-) I
    >> always use my USB mouse to wake up my monitor when I come back
    >> to my desk.
    Bijan> Which device do you use in you XFree86 configuration?  I'm
    Bijan> using /dev/input/mice

Yes and no. I *also* use /dev/gpmdata with a gpm configuration of

device=/dev/input/mice
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=""
sample_rate=

So I have two otherwise identical "InputDevice" sections in my
"ServerLayout" section in XF86Config-4. One is for /dev/gpmdata and
the other is for /dev/input/mice. I can't recall why I did this (it's
been nearly two years), but probably it was to allow me to start/stop
gpm independently of the X server.

I'm not sure if this relevant to your issue, but there it is anyway.

Cheers!
Shyamal