Re: Do DVD-drives support booting?

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 18:12, alberto wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I thought they would, but I purchased a second-hand laptop VERSA SXi
> with a DVD drive who won't boot my Woody disks (nor any other)
>
> BIOS is OK, and the drive itself, also.
>
> Have you got any idea what may be wrong, if there IS anyting wrong
> with that?
>
> Actually, I would like to have an answer to that, first: Is it
> possible that DVD-drives won't support booting from CD?

Any (IDE) combination DVD/CD drive should boot from "bootable" CDs.

Could it be that the DVD drive is old enough that it is *not*
a combination DVD/CD drive, but strictly DVD?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |