Re: Network not enabled with upgraded kernel, 2.2.20->2.4.18, Dell Insp 4100 NB

On Friday 20 June 2003 20:30, e broyles wrote:
>  Alternatively, what setup might I need to do?  It did things magically
> when I installed Woody, found my network, got an IP, but perhaps there is
> something I need to do once the new kernel is installed.

The problem is likely that a module name has changed. According to
http://goatee.net/reviews/dell/inspiron-4100.html
it's the 3c59x driver. Check your /etc/modules to see if you're loading the
right module and make sure you've included the right driver in the kernel
build. It should be in "Network device support -> Ethernet (10 or 100 Mbit)
-> 3Com cards". I'd also recommend building it as a module (not fixed in the
kernel) since I found being able to force transmission speed and
full/halfduplex at runtime to be a great thing.

--
Got Backup?