Re: xcdroast coasters

-- tallison@tacocat.net <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote
(on Wednesday, 16 April 2003, 10:13 AM -0400):
> > -- Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote
> > (on Tuesday, 15 April 2003, 06:20 PM -0400):
> >> I did a "dummy" run and it's still failing...
> >>
> >> Calling: /usr/lib/xcdroast/bin/xcdrwrap CDRECORD dev=0,1,0 gracetime=2
> >> fs=16384k  -v -useinfo speed=4 -dao -dummy -eject -pad -data
> >                                  ^^^^
> >> "/tmp/track-01.img" ...
> >>
> > <snip>
> >> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R
> >
> > I think I found your problem -- you're specifying dao mode, but your
> > drive doesn't support it.
> >

> Oh...  (feeling slightly numbed, or larted, or both)
>
> I can guess the Track At Once and Sector At Once.
>
> so maybe I need to back up and ask some basics.
>
> I have a pile of files in /home/foo/(and more directories).
> I typically burn a local image in /tmp
> Then use that image file to burn the cd (in DAO).
> I know creating the image is best/safest.
> But how does TAO/SAO differ? for data? for audio?
>
> What's the PACKET and "R96P" modes mean?

I wish I had answers to all of these questions... Basically, PACKET, I
believe, refers to the ability of the drive to be written using a packet
writer -- Easy-CD Creator uses this as the default way of writing to
CD-RW media. The various R96P modes refer to RAW writing modes --
typically you won't use them.

As for a basic idea of what DAO does...

Typically, you only need to use DAO when recording audio CDs. If you
don't use DAO, you need to pad each track so it fits into a multiple of
2532 bytes -- which means that you typically have a gap of around 2
seconds between each song. (This is TAO mode, by the way.)

With DAO mode, you create a monolithic image of the entire audio CD,
telling the burner precisely where each track begins and ends.

With data CDs, this isn't really much of an issue -- you're creating an
ISO image of the track/CD you wish to record, and it doesn't require
quite the limits on file size. If you use an ISO image, there's really
no need to use DAO.

Older drives (such as yours) typically don't have support for DAO, so
you need to tell your program not to turn it on. If I remember
correctly, you're using XCDRoast. If you go into the Setup screen and
click on the last tab, entitled "Options", there's a section for
"Default Write Mode". Set this to "Track-At-Once", and you should be
fine. (For some reason, this is set to default to "Disk-At-Once"
regardless of the drive specifications.)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net