Subject: APT pinning and how to fix gliches of the results
Author: osamu
Date: Tuesday, 2003/02/18 - 05:09

One of the "Debian Reference" reader's comment on the downgrading experience
and my comments for that. Anyway, as few other posts already pointed out,
APT pinning is the way to downgrade system.

Downgrading from testing to stable

By Auke Jilderda <auke@jilderda.net> Thu Dec 26 07:22:28 2002

%%%%%% etc

I had the same problem that you describe with coreeutils, however, after
applying the dpkg -i --force etc
it went smoothly. In several cases (not described here) I applied the same
recipe, run apt-get upgrade several times, even had to remove all
directories containing gdm2 by hand, since I had gnome2 in my system and I
wanted to get back to pure woody.
Notice that after doing

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/fileutils_4.1-10_i386.deb
dpkg -i --force-overwrite
/var/cache/apt/archives/shellutils_2.0.11-11_i386.deb
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/textutils_2.0-12_i386.deb

the problem with coreutils vanished.

Mailman refused any attempt to be downgraded, same for libpaperg,
common-lis-controller.
I also had to several times run "apt-get -f install" after removing by hand
stubborn packages.
Finally, add the security lines to your sources.list, run dselect several
times, combined with apt-get, and you should have a pure woody back.
One interesting remark is that after apt-get upgrade was indicating all ok,
still dselect was able to find about a hundred or so packages to be removed
and downgraded.
Any way, after doing all that and more that I didn't write down (sorry for
that), I finally have back a pure woody station. Testing is great, but since
I have that machine dedicated to some serious work, I couldn't afford the
some times instability of broken packages.
Enjoy,
AR