Re: NVidia and orinoco was Re: 2.4.20 is (still) huge

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 08:42:17PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> The reference to 2.4.19 could be because you are still compiling the drivers
> with the old kernel headers and libs.

That would make sense if I'd been using 2.4.19, but my existing working
kernel is 2.4.18...

In any case I've scrapped all of that. :) I can't remember *how* I got the
source I was working with before, so I carefully removed everything
obvious from (I don't think this will break 2.4.18 as I didn't touch any
of the drivers from /lib/modules/2.4.18):
	/usr/src
	/lib/modules/2.4.20/(etc)/drivers/video
	- dselect to check which versions were installed for
	nvidia-kernel-src, nvidia-glx-src
	- carefully removed any obivous tar/gzip files with that number
	- apt-get remove existing -kernel-src and -glx-src packages

Then started from scratch with:
	- apt-get install nvidia-kernel-src
	- apt-get install nvidia-glx-src
	(read the documentation)
	- apt-get install xlibmesa3-glu (this is what was missing before
	  and resulting in symbols not found)
	- cd /usr/src
	- gunzip nvidia-kernel-src
	- untar nvidia-kernel-src (puts files correctly into
	  /usr/src/modules)
	- cd /usr/src/linux
	- make-kpkg modules_image
	(drink coffee, eat butter tarts and watch curling while everything
	flashes by)
	- cd /usr/src
	- dpkg -i nvidia-kernel<version>.deb
	- lsmod to check for loaded modules: nvidia is loaded. This is a
	  *different* name than what I used to use (NVdriver).

Somewhere there's going to be a config file that I need to change from
NVdriver to nvidia. AND I can't figure out where the .deb is for the
nvidia-glx-src (there's a directory in /usr/src but nothing obvious in it).

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]