Re: graphical login to a different Linux machine

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:52:07AM -0400, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Santanu Chatterjee <santanu@softhome.net> wrote
> (on Friday, 11 April 2003, 06:18 PM +0500):
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Today, I saw an option in win2k in the login screen, where
> > one can give the name of a client machine (in the same
> > network, probably), and login as an user on that machine.
> >
> > This kind of a thing probably also exists under kdm (and xdm, etc),
> > since sometime KDE said something about this to me. But now I am
> > not being able to find that piece of info.
> >
> > Could you please point to the right direction?

Keyword: XDMCP as others have mentioned.

Most (all?) display managers in Debian have this disabled by default
(security, etc).

> I'm not sure about kdm, but I use gdm to do this very thing from my
> laptop. Basically, you have *dm running on the serving machine, and you
> have it configured to be an XDMCP server (gdmconfig has a dialog for
> setting this up; run it as root while in X on the serving machine).
>
> On the machine that you wish to connect with, you start X with:
>
>     $ X -query hostname

Or if you're in X windows already, then you can do it in a nested X
server:

    # apt-get install xnest
    $ Xnest -query hostname -geometry 1000x748

HTH
--
                  __

http://www.karl.jorgensen.com       `-'