Re: other distributions

Hello,

  I've been eyeing this thread for a while now, and I would like to
  post my views.

  On the "standard":  Red Hat
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   ^^^^^^^
  At the moment, and according to "Hardware Vendors" Red Hat is the
  preferred and supported distribution.  The reason for this is that
  the vendors are tied up in the MS propaganda of "one interface
  one... bla".

  Please excuse the Hardware Vendors, they are still driving under
  the influence of (MS).  As the development of LFS continues, this
  will all change.

  On comparing Debian to Gentoo to FreeBSD
  Yes, it is a nice feature to be able to compile everything from
  source, but that certainly should not be the *only* method.  You
  should certainly have an option, and with FreeBSD you can in
  fact install pre-compiled ports using the "Sysinstall" utility.

  I am not sure if Gentoo has the functionality of installing
  pre-compiled binaries using a special system.  What I mean is,
  a centralized program like dpkg or Sysinstall or the like.
  What I don't mean is manualy downloading an rpm and installing
  it; the keyword is automation.

  We all value flexibility and options.  If I want to build from
  source, I should have the option, If i want to just install
  binaries, that should be my option too.  I don't like a system
  where I am forced into only one method, installation only by
  rpm or only by source (tar) [ Hint Hint: Redhat & Slackware ]

  In this light, I'm hoping that we Debian users will soon have
  more options in building things from source, ala cvs update/make
  world in FreeBSD.  Debian is already ahead of the game ;)

just my 2 cents ;)

| Welat xwe ava nake, dest bidin hevdu, pist nedin tu dijminî  |
|   Riya azadiyê ne hêsan e, hêviya xwe bernedin, dema me      |
|     nêzîk e.                                                 |
| Hevaltî bi kesên du rû nekin, hevaltî bi hevdu ra bikin      |
|   Ne ji hevaltiya wan kesên pêxwas û rû dirêj, ne bi wan     |
|     kesên xwînperest, ne jî ji yên din.                      |
|                                   -Sêrêciya Kurdistanî       |
  translation provided on request: sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx