Re: other distros

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 18:18:41 -0500
Michael Heironimus <mkh01@earthlink.net> wrote:
<snip>

> Slackware also tends to follow the traditional UNIX philosophy of
> assuming that you know what you're doing a lot more than Debian or
> RPM-based systems. Actually, it tends to be more like other UNIX systems
> than any other Linux distribution I've used - I think learning HP-UX and
> OpenBSD (and several others) with a Slackware background caused me a lot
> fewer headaches than Debian or Red Hat with a Slackware background.

true, i'd reccomend slack to anyone wanting to learn unix without paying the fees to sco, has anyone seen the sco vs ibm lawsuit? a really nasty cliche there

its nice to work with a distro that doesnt have an rpm or apt based package manager coz it makes ppl think about what they want the package to do, and configure it accordingly, as its too easy to install a package and let it configure itself (often incorrectly and insecurely).

> I like Slackware because I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, and I think
> it's a good compromise between that and not wanting to take the time and
> trouble to bootstrap an entire system from scratch.

same as, its got the flexibility of gentoo and source mage, without the time spent recompiling all and sundry

> The main problem with Slackware is that you're still pretty much stuck
> with the Intel platform. Alpha and SPARC ports are "in progress", but
> they've been in progress for a long time now and there isn't even a
> PowerPC port started.

i must say, i use the splack distro on SPARC, and its damn good, unfortunately i couldnt get debian/aurora/suse working quite as well as splack on SPARC. check www.netunix.co.uk for splack, if u want, i can make bootable cd's of splack-current for anyone who wants a copy (so long as i dont get 100's of requests)

regards

waz

p.s. happy slacking