Re: other distros

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:19:57PM +0100, Warwick Brown wrote:
> without wanting to knock the good efforts of the debian guys, my fav
> distro is slackware, its well worth a try (especially if you have a
> phobia of point-and-click installs), plus its only 1 cd. its a good
> distro without confusing init scripts and uses very little -
> distribution-specific tools

Slackware also tends to follow the traditional UNIX philosophy of
assuming that you know what you're doing a lot more than Debian or
RPM-based systems. Actually, it tends to be more like other UNIX systems
than any other Linux distribution I've used - I think learning HP-UX and
OpenBSD (and several others) with a Slackware background caused me a lot
fewer headaches than Debian or Red Hat with a Slackware background.

I like Slackware because I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, and I think
it's a good compromise between that and not wanting to take the time and
trouble to bootstrap an entire system from scratch.

The main problem with Slackware is that you're still pretty much stuck
with the Intel platform. Alpha and SPARC ports are "in progress", but
they've been in progress for a long time now and there isn't even a
PowerPC port started.

--
Michael Heironimus