Re: /etc/modules, /etc/modules.conf and others

On Thursday 20 February 2003 8:58 pm, J.F.Gratton wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 22:27, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > /etc/modules is used by Debian to manually add modules the
> > user/sysadmin wishes to load at boot time. After adding them, you
> > then run 'update-modules' as root, which reads this, as well as
> > some files in /etc/modutils/, to *create* /etc/modules.conf. (This
> > script is run as part of /etc/init.d/modutils at boot time, in case
> > you're wondering why you haven't run it yourself and things still
> > worked.)
> >
> > There's a lot more to it, and this answer is definitely a bit
> > simplistic, but it's the basic idea -- and it's why you don't need
> > to (and *SHOULDN'T*) mess with /etc/modules.conf in Debian.
> >
> > --
> > Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> > matthew@weierophinney.net
>
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thx for the answer !
>
> So you're telling me that I should run update-modules whenever I
> modify /etc/modules ? Since I've never done that after a modif. , I
> guess I was simply lucky to keep my system up and (at least looking
> to be) properly running ?
>
> Jeff

The easiest thing to do is use the program modconf.  It is a menu driven
program that allows you to select the modules you want.  It will
install them into the kernel for you and update the necessary files so
that upon reboots, the module(s) are loaded for you.  You don't have to
use update-modules if you use modconf.

John