Re: /var/log/messages

On Friday, February 21, 2003 13:39, Richard Beri wrote:
> My /var/log/messages and messages.0 are getting very large. messages
> alone is almost 500 meg.  Is is safe to delete these files (I don't
> need to read any back error messages).  My syslog is also reaching
> 500 meg ais that safe to be deleted. Will they be auto-created again?

For next time, you might like to discover a utility called logrotate.
It will regularly archive and/or delete old log files and set up new
empty ones in their place.

I think you can empty a file (while preserving its permissions) by
overwriting it with the empty string:
# echo "" > /var/log/messages

Hope this helps

--