Re: hard lock ups

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 12:39, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 07 Feb 2003, Scott Henson wrote:
> > The past few days I have been experiencing some hard lock-ups on my
> > computer and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what was going
> > on.  Basically the screen freezes and the caps lock and scroll lock
> > lights blink about once a second.  The box will not respond to anything
> > including network traffic.  I am using kernel 2.4.21-pre3-ac5, but it
> > also happens under 2.4.20 and a few others.  All I have in my logs is
> > this.
> >

> Have you recently opened the case for any reason? I had exactly these
> symptoms recently and eventually found it was due to my having displaced
> the data cables to the hard drives slightly. It was particularly
> difficult to diagnose because I had just upgraded my CPU with an
> Upgradeware adapter and naturally assumed at first that the trouble
> was there. I even replaced the PSU, thinking it might be that, but the
> roblem persisted at intervals. It finally disappeared after I unplugged
> all the data cables and put them back.

Nope,  but the problem seems to have gone away for now.  It seems to
happen every few months and I would really like to track it down.
Usually if I let the machine sleep(turn it off) for a night, it is all
better the next morning.  I just find it really weird and annoying and
would like to figure out why it is doing it.  Maybe its just something
weird about my hardware.  Thanks anyway.
--
Scott Henson <shenson2@silvercoin.dyndns.org>