Re: hard lock ups

On 07 Feb 2003, Scott Henson wrote:
> The past few days I have been experiencing some hard lock-ups on my
> computer and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what was going
> on.  Basically the screen freezes and the caps lock and scroll lock
> lights blink about once a second.  The box will not respond to anything
> including network traffic.  I am using kernel 2.4.21-pre3-ac5, but it
> also happens under 2.4.20 and a few others.  All I have in my logs is
> this.

Have you recently opened the case for any reason? I had exactly these
symptoms recently and eventually found it was due to my having displaced
the data cables to the hard drives slightly. It was particularly
difficult to diagnose because I had just upgraded my CPU with an
Upgradeware adapter and naturally assumed at first that the trouble
was there. I even replaced the PSU, thinking it might be that, but the
roblem persisted at intervals. It finally disappeared after I unplugged
all the data cables and put them back.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic