Re: dhcpd: how to quiet DHCPREQUEST in logs

* Bill Moseley (moseley@hank.org) [021229 21:58]:
> On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Dave Sherohman wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 10:44:02AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > >
> > > Running a few dhcp clients ends up generating a lot of DHCPREQUEST
> > > messages.  I'm not clear how to set the interval that the client sends
> > > those requests.   I looked at man dhclient.conf but didn't see the
> > > setting.  I tried setting a "retry" but that was not it.
> > >
> > > In my server I've got
> > >
> > >   default-lease-time 600;
> > >
> > > but the DHCPREQEST messages are sent from the client every five minutes so
> > > I think that's not it either.
> >
> > Just to hit on the obvious...  Did you tell dhcpd to reload its
> > configuration after making the change?  (/etc/init.d/dhcp restart)
>
> Yep.
>
> Turns out that Hendrik Sattler was correct in that the client is using 1/2
> the value set in the server, although it's a debian client not a windows
> client that's doing that.  Maybe all clients do that -- or maybe the
> server is sending 1/2 the config value (seems unlikely).

That's what the clients do:

   In both RENEWING and REBINDING states, if the client receives no
   response to its DHCPREQUEST message, the client SHOULD wait one-half
   of the remaining time until T2 (in RENEWING state) and one-half of
   the remaining lease time (in REBINDING state), down to a minimum of
   60 seconds, before retransmitting the DHCPREQUEST message.

If they waited until the last second to try to renew their lease,
there's a chance someone else might take it before they can renew it.
If they renew while they still have some time left, there's no such race
condition.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt

good times,
Vineet