20GB on an old P75

Hi.
I would install Linux on a 20GB HD, which will be installed on an old P75 system.
While the BIOS cannot recognize more than 8GB, under Linux I can see all the 7
partitions on it with fdisk, and can mount them.
How is it possible?Perhaps the kernel bypasses BIOS?
Do you think I will see all the 20GB space, if I install Linux on it, or will I have a lot of
problems? (it is a full windows system with a lot of data and I don't want to "try")

Thanx
Mat