Re: Speaking of ntp, yes CD-R does mess with the clock!

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:19:35 +1100
Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net> wrote:

> I'd say this is the sort of thing people mean when people say 'IDE
> sucks!'; the CPU has to babysit the burner through the entire process...

It's actually probably even more subtle. My experience has been that
cdrdao causes problems but cdrecord doesn't. I also noticed a similar
effect recently when copying a large number of CDs to disk (several
hundred), on a couple of occasions a timeout caused DMA to become disabled
on the CDrom drive and when that happened the clock started running slow.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering