Re: "Burn" CD audio to a file

* Bill Moseley (moseley@hank.org) [021125 06:51]:

> Is there any way to emulate a cdrom device?  Granted CDRs are inexpensive,
> but I was wondering if there was a way to "burn" a cd to a file for
> testing and they play it like an audio CD.

You won't be able to play it like an audio CD.  When your CD-ROM drive
does this, it does it at a much lower level; the OS just gives it
cd-player-style commands like "play" "stop" "skip", etc, rather than
reading the bits of music and feeding them to the soundcard.  The CD-ROM
is connected directly to the soundcard and just spews the music over
there without processing it at all.  So until you put the music under
the laser, you won't be able to test it "like and audio CD."

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/