Re: "Burn" CD audio to a file

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 09:45, Bill Moseley wrote:

> Is there any way to emulate a cdrom device?  Granted CDRs are inexpensive,
> but I was wondering if there was a way to "burn" a cd to a file for
> testing and they play it like an audio CD.
>
> I was trying out some modifications the a cdrdao TOC file and would have
> liked a way to listen to the results without burning a CD.  This is
> running on a Debain machine that does *not* have x-window-system installed
>

> --
> Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org

I have a 'cdfs' file system that allows the mounting of audio CDs. It is
a third-party module to be installed with the kernel (not a patch, just
an extra module) and allows you to deal with individual sessions of a
multi-session CD, as well as see audio tracks as individual WAV files
(actually, I believe the tracks are still CDR format, and the wrong
extension is applied - you should be able to convert them to WAV with
sox.) With the VFS nature of Linux, there should be no reason why you
shouldn't be able to mount an ISO image before burning and double-check
the tracks.

If you want to go in the other direction and play the ISO image with a
CD playing program, I would suspect that would involve finding one that
allows you to specify the input source/device, and saying the ISO file
instead of /dev/cdrom.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org