Re: [OT] CD-R Requirements: Conspiracy

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:55:41 -0800, Vineet Kumar
<debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> wrote:

>This is exactly what burnproof does.  You can load the machine; you can
>deplete the buffer.  Rather than spewing the contents of the empty
>buffer to the disc (creating a coaster), it suspends the write and
>resumes when the buffer fills some more.

Just imagine if the electronics of your hard drive spewed garbage to
the platter if it ran out of incoming data for a bit. Or if your NIC
broadcast random crap while the processor was attending to someone
else. What a stupid way to build a device.

I don't think the CD-R manufacturers are being stupid. I think they're
being greedy. You have two essentially identical CD-Rs, a cheaper one
with stupid firmware and one with proper firmware which is more
expensive. So people buy the cheaper one, and then have to buy the
more expensive one a bit later because the cheaper one is unfit for
the purpose for which it was sold (Hit them with Trades Descriptions
Act?) Or maybe the salesperson in the computer shop will con them into
buying a whole new computer.

Moral: never buy anything until it's been out for at least 2 years,
and make sure you know exactly what you're buying before you go
anywhere near a shop.

Burn down Babylon
Pigeon