Tools to maintain my own set of homebrewed deb's?

I've got a whole bunch of machines that maintain at school and home and I've also got a laptop. Sometimes, there will be some software that I want to install on many/most of them and, due to licensing restrictions, they don't exist on the normal Debian mirrors. Two examples of this are the Java JDK 1.4 and also the JBuilder IDE.

I could go through the normal install program for these programs, but:
 1 - It requires me to download the install progs to each machine
 2 - It requires me to go through interactive installs on each machine
 3 - It doesn't lend itself well to clean uninstalls
 4 - Many of these programs install junk I don't want (like the JDK installing the full source files, or JBuilder install its own JDK)

What would be much nicer, of course, is if I could install the program via the "licensed" install method and then reconfigure it to my needs, toss out the junk, and then make a DEB package of just that. Then, I could put it on one of my web servers, point all of my sources.list files at that, and then just use apt on all of the other machines.

Now, I've figured out how to get debhelper's dh_builddeb to make a usable deb package that installs, uninstalls, upgrades, etc. Works great. I've also set up a spot on a web server that I can point apt at then my packages show up in dselect, et. al.

What I'm trying to do now is automate the process of generating the Packages.gz file automatically from the "control" files contained within the individual packages. In other words, I want to be able to upload some new or updated deb's to my web server, then run some command that automatically updates Packages.gz.

Anybody know, offhand, what does that?

- Joe