Re: X Windows and Gnome Problem - HELP!!

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 05:43:35PM -0500, Seneca wrote:

> When you boot up, it goes to X. Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 (with the Ctrl
> and Alt being the left ones) to get to a console.

Note that you will not be able to run xf86cfg or XF86Config while the X
session is still running on vt7.  To stop the instance of X which gets
started automatically, do this from a root login on one of your text
screens:

	/etc/init.d/gdm stop

If that spits back an error about gdm not being started, try:

	/etc/init.d/xdm stop

To be sure you've killed X, ctl-alt-F7 -- you should see a blank screen,
maybe with a cursor flashing on the upper left.  ctl-alt-F1 will take
you back to virtual terminal 1.

Next, you'll need to get a working XF86Config file.  As others have
suggested, upgrading to Debian 3.0 is a good idea, and I'd suggest
doing that now rather than fixing your X setup first, since XFree86
version 4 has better hardware support and seems to also do a better job
of setting up configuration options for you automatically, and it may
save you grief in the long run.

Also as others have already said, KDE and GNOME are desktop
environments; neither one is really a "program" as such, they're more
like frameworks that programs can be designed to support, with
inter-process communication protocols, unified configuration tools and
so forth.  Both (usually) rely on a working X Window configuration being
present on your machine; neither is an alternative to X.

HTH,
-mrj
--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that