Linksys 802.11 pcmcia card troubles

I have the correct modules modconf'd, the cardinfo shows the card is
there. The wireless utilities are installed and working, I have
configured "wlan0" in /etc/network/interfaces, but with only the
standard address and mask information. I realize this is likely the
source of some problems, but there is no documentation about what the
right information is to put there.

I checked the generic Linux-wireless site suggested by Linksys, and it
instructed to download and build tools. I found that Debian has many (if
not all) of those tools and kernel modules already packaged and ready to
go.

The kernel modules for Prism2 load fine, and cardinfo shows the card is
alive and well.

The file which the generic Linux-wireless site says to customise with
the 802.11 unique configuration options has been commented by the Debian
developer that it should not be used, all options should be set in the
interfaces file. However, no information is given in the wireless HowTo
about the obvious Debian specific issues.

Aparently, the Debian packages are not everything needed, because of the
following error:

# ifup wlan0
modprobe: Can't locate module p80211
Failed to load p80211.o.
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng_pre-up exited with
return code 1
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

I would love it if someone who has this working could let me know where
all the 802.11 information goes, and what they had to do to get past
this module dependency, etc etc etc.

This is certainly one of those times when the package maintainers are
making it more difficult by making changes without documentation....

Curt-

--
"Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
 Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.