Re: Kernel compilation

To upgrade your kernel, you can probably just use one of the packaged
kernel-image versions.  Type 'apt-cache search kernel-image'.  Pick the
latest 2.4 version which matches your type of processor and install it
with apt-get.  You may have to edit either /etc/lilo.conf or
/boot/grub/menu.lst, depending on which boot loader you are using and
whether you have it configured to automatically update your boot menu
when a new kernel is installed.

The Debian kernel packages use initrd, so you may need to configure
your boot loader for that, as well.  As an example, my
/boot/grub/menu.lst shows the following:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.19-686
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-686 root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=5
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.4.19-686
savedefault
boot

On the other hand, if you need/want to compile a new kernel, install
the kernel-package and the appropriate kernel-source packages.  Read
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz and you will learn everything
you need to know about compiling and creating a Debian kernel package.

Also take a look at 'man kernel-img.conf' and 'man kernel-pkg.conf',
which are installed as part of kernel-package.