Re: biff replacement

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:34:34PM -0500, Justin Miller wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good replacement? I would like to be notified of
> new mail but biff does this in a very inelegant way. For example, if I
> am in vi it will spam my screen. Also, when I get new mail biff only
> lets me know what folder it is in. I would like to be able to find out
> who sent it, when, and what the title is.

Check the man pages of bash, more specifically for the MAILPATH variable
and their options. For example, this is in my ~/.bashrc file:

export MAILPATH="~/Mail/inbox"

The shell shows a one line message, only when a program exits and gives
controll back to the shell. I don't think it's possible to show more
information about emails though. I would think about a nifty perl
script, but from a first glance through the manpage, it seems it's not
possible to trigger an external program when new mail is detected, so
you'll have to look for other programs if you want such behavior.

--
Mathias De Belder